Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thank God for Fish Faces


Andrew has had a rough few weeks and today was the worst. I went to pick him up from school in hopes that the teachers would tell me he had a good day....those have been few and far between here lately. As I walked into the school I could hear screams coming from his classroom and I thought "Wow, who is that?!" Never in a million years would I thought it was Andrew. But indeed it was. He was in the middle of the most violent tantrum that I have ever seen him throw. The teacher was trying to get him to calmly sit in time out, so I didn't let him see me so she could follow through and make him obey. While I waited, I witnessed him slap her and kick her all the while screaming. She finally got him calmed down and then tried to calm me down. I expressed that I felt he was regressing and she promised me that he was still making strides, but was just testing his boundaries right now. Then she told me she was sorry I walked in while he was doing that....she said SHE was sorry!!! I'm telling you, she is one in a million. She didn't want me to think that he was like that all the time....she says that he is still doing his work great and following directions better. This all coming from the woman that was just abused by my son! It's hard to stay encouraged when I don't see progress and see these horrible fits coming back. He hasn't acted like this since before he started school. Please just pray that we would find answers to help him and that his behavior would improve. And that he would sleep better....that may be the cause of all of this, I don't know. Autistic children don't tend to sleep very well, and while Andrew hasn't really had too much trouble in this area before, he seems to now.
Thankfully he's not like this all the time, he still has moments of adorableness. In the picture above he is doing his fish face, which cracks me and Jay up. I wish you could see it in person...it's so funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! who knew that Andrew was that bad, I am sorry. Hes really adoreable.

Love you
Lisa