Monday, September 24, 2007

First Day of School

Well, it's been a long time since I, Jay, have taken the initiative to post on our family blog. Tonight I decided that I would share our new family reality with you.
Today was Andrew's first day in a real school, the local elementary school. While thankfully they have not decided to move up the age at which you must begin school, allow me to share how this event transpired.
On Friday Andrew went for a speech evaluation where a diagnostician was present. It was the consensus of the group that there was something more than just speech that was wrong with him. They felt it was probably a sign of autism. Not wanting to immediately make that call, they asked us to enroll him in a 30 day evaluation of him in their special education program that deals mostly with autistic children. This has been quite the shocker for us. While we've been preparing ourselves for this, the reality still weighs heavy. Many emotions have been swirling around the house for days. No time for all that now...
So, here we are. Andrew is in big boy school, luckily for just 3 hours a day. They have mercy on the 3 year old. We will of course keep you up to date on all of this. Sorry for no first day pictures. We woke up late ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, austism isn't a bad thing. It's a blessing. Gus is autistic. It just takes some extra love and attension. I think if he has some therapy and stuff he will turn out to be as close to normal as is possible!

The Mr. & Mrs. said...

Exciting for Andrew to have new friends to play with! I know he's going to love it at school! THANK God it's only 3 hours. . . school for threes is like crazy for an all day schedule! love you three so much! keep me updated! Praying for you!

Dee'Anna said...

Hey girl,
I will keep your family in our prayers. Andrew will have a great time in school! Keep us updated.
Love Dee'Anna

Anonymous said...

Would you mind taking the initiative again?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I must admit I did not remember you at first but then I saw your picture and that Smile. I do remember that. Well, you can ask me anything. I have probaly been through, read it, d=cried about it! I am very fortunate that Wes is so high functioning. He is very verbal. As some one previously stated in your comments it takes extra love and a lot of patience sometimes.

Rachel Wilson